Tuesday 2 September 2014

Sexism & Feminisim: Thoughts?

Now, I know this blog is mainly focused on the material things in life: make-up, skincare and clothes but I am a person with feelings, and in fact, very strong beliefs.  I would call myself a feminist: someone (may it be a man or woman) who believes in equal rights for women. I do however hate the negative stereotype associated with this word whether it be ‘manhater’, ‘lesbian’ etc . I am in no way either of those: I have a boyfriend and lots of male friends. The 2 reasons I think people believe this nonsense: they’re told feminists are man haters or they just want to ignore that there is a real sexism problem in the world because they don’t care about it and we, who are trying to fight it, need to quite frankly sit down and shut up. I’d love to know your thoughts on the situation as I’ve not really seen a post like this on the beauty blogosphere and I think it’d be great to raise awareness on the issue!

Double Standards
This is something that really grinds on my gears! So, a man can get around and have sex with as many people as he wants and no one will say anything; and if they do it will most likely be that he's a ‘player’ or  a ‘legend’ which are seen as positive things in these ‘lad’ terms. However, if a woman does the same she will be seen as a ‘slut’ or a ‘whore’. HOW DOES THAT EVEN MAKE SENSE? In my opinion, if you want to get around because YOU enjoy it, then do it. (As long as you’re being safe and all that jazz.) Stop branding women as if they are men’s property who mustn’t have too many owners!

Sexual Objectification
Admittedly, many women bring this on themselves by posing on page 3 or in ‘mens magazines’. Pop music is also full of half-clad women prancing around the stage in what may be mistaken as a bra and thong.There’s been a loss of respect when it comes to admiring women, shifting towards describing us as objects, rather than people. A large portion of today’s men are momentarily allured by big chests, thigh gaps, bronzed skin and false eyelashes. But what about women that don’t want to indulge in the male fantasy? It’s not real; it’s an illusion thats been forcing women to conform to unhealthy habits for too long. It’s time men realize that women have more to offer than just a body!

Victim Blaming & Sex Crimes (Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photo ‘Scandal’)


My main motivation for writing this post was due to the leaked nude photos of Jennifer Lawrence and after seeing comments online totally sexualising her; I decided I needed to vent! This is not a scandal... it’s a sex crime. Someone stole her private images and displayed them onto the internet; exploiting her body for the pleasure of some creepy wankers (quite literally). She has done absolutely nothing wrong by having these images on her phone, however the person who has stole them and exploited her have and that needs to be realised by everyone! It is not JLaw’s responsibility to protect her property from theft by not creating this sort of material any more than it’s any woman’s responsibility to dress a certain way, travel in groups or whatever it takes to lessen the chance that someone will sexually assault you! Society too easily blames the victim in so many situations: ‘Well she shouldn’t have being wearing that short skirt’ or ‘Why didn’t s/he just leave him/her?’ It’s not on the victim to take enough measures to protect themselves, but rather on the victimizer to choose not to commit the crime!

We are in the 21st century now and women are no longer owned by men to cook, clean and have sex with them. We are successful and independent and even though we have come a long way in the last century, there is still a way to go in terms of sexual objectification and exploitation. Some women say 'yes but it doesn't affect me' and I say: look at how women in the Middle East/Asia are treated. Female infanticide, women having to cover up in the heat of the sun and being stoned to death for adultery whilst males get off scot free with 20 wives by their side. We need to be supporting all the ladies out there and I'm sure a lot of us have being whistled at or had some boy in a club come up and inappropriately touch you.

I know this post has being a lot different to the usual blogging material, but what do you guys think of the situation? Let me know in the comments below!!
Lots Of Love, 
     TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN | INSTAGRAM
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Great post, really thought provoking and I completely agree with you! Double standards just don't make sense to me at all!

    http://lux-rose.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've raised some interesting points here and I find myself agreeing with all of them. I am a feminist also and I do not view myself as a man hater. I got a real chuckle at "A large portion of today’s men are momentarily allured by big chests," and I totally agree that it is momentarily. Some men never grow up. Women have only recently been given rights and I believe that we should still stand up for ourselves and respect each other.

    www.misserinohara.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou :) Haha I know unfortunately they don't it's quite sad! Yeah me too, I'm glad others feel the same! x

      Delete
  3. I really love reading these kinds of posts!
    xx
    Antonella!
    beautylove7694.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good! I was quite hesitant as to post about it :) x

      Delete
  4. OMG there is such a difference between people's general idea of feminism where women hate men (which is really misandry) and actual feminism which is just for equality. I don't know why anyone would be against equality
    Allison from www.mercuteify.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good that you talk about such topics as well!
    Great Post!

    intonavy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this post! i think women throughout the course of history have proven themselves on multiple occasions. this is a great post and a real eye opener :)

    spiceadvicexo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

© wellnessalice | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig